Search this site
Order by clicking cover
Navigating this site
This site accompanies the travel guide The Rough Guide to First-Time Africa. It's not an alternative to the book, but includes samples of the contents, a blog page and the opportunity to comment on posts and pages and put questions to the authors.
Static web pages ("The book", "The authors" etc) are tabbed up on the left beneath the photo of Lamu waterfront. Blog posts all appear on the "Home" page, at the far left, with the most recent post at the top. Each blog post is tagged with subject and/or country categories, allowing you to access the posts you're interested in using the Category dropdown menu, below.
Last 10 blog posts
- British tourist, visitor and resident deaths in Africa: 325 people in 12 months out of more than 3 million British visitors
- Surprised 2174 Brits died abroad of “unknown causes” in 2010: new figures from the FCO
- Accidents abroad: Britons killed in Africa
- Britons murdered in Africa: very few indeed
- Improved security in the Sahel: military escorts dropped in northern Niger
- Rodrigues on the radio
- KCB Safari Rally 2011 – take care on those roads!
- The Lake of Stars Festival
- Zambia travel update
- Cycling in Uganda
Archive of all blog posts
Subjects and countries
- RT @Peston: Should MPs change the Brexit default from no-deal to “revoke article 50”? What do you think. It would mean UK automatically sta… 1 month ago
- Congratulations Jamila! twitter.com/jamilaji/statu… 2 months ago
- Millions of people listening to this drivel from @OwenPaterson and it made no sense at all. Pathetic. twitter.com/Bob__Hudson/st… 2 months ago
Category Archives: Uncategorized
British tourist, visitor and resident deaths in Africa: 325 people in 12 months out of more than 3 million British visitors
Below are the full country-by-country breakdowns of the African figures broken out of the FCO’s recent “British Behaviour Abroad” report. As explained in previous posts, the original published report contained very broad-brush data. I wanted to have the real figures, … Continue reading
More data from the FCO, going into further detail about the figures published in their “British Behaviour Abroad” report, covering consular activity between March 2010 and March 2011. It took so long to get a breakdown of the 62 murders that … Continue reading
Full marks to the FCO press office for getting back to me so quickly on my latest request to unpick the broad-brush data in their “British Behaviour Abroad” report – this time with a country-by-country breakdown of the 386 Britons … Continue reading
Bikes are such a great way of travelling in Africa – not least because you get to travel the way most local people do, under your own steam (and sweat) – that it’s not surprising it’s an increasingly popular way … Continue reading
I’m delighted that the new Rough Guide: First-Time Africa will be published on 1 April 2011.